Earlier this Spring, I had wanted to plant some milkweed to draw more butterflies. But although it’s said to be very bitter in taste as a deterrent, it is also said to contain cardiac glycoside toxins. A plant that is very harmful when ingested, and in large consumption leads to death.
So I don’t take a chance, having two rambunctious dogs.
Always be aware of what plants your pet may come in contact with aside from the usual grass. Especially when bringing new plants to your yard.
The picture above created by care2.com shows some very common plants that can be harmful to your pet.
These are some of the very common, but there are many more plants that can be harmful, such as the elephant ear.
To view a larger variety of plants both toxic and nontoxic go to ASPCA Poison Control-Toxic And NonToxic Plants.
If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, showing signs of odd behavior or any of the following symptoms…weakness, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, facial swelling, dilated pupils, trouble breathing, or possible seizures contact your veterinarian immediately.